Welcome To On The Avenue Home Decor & Gifts. Years ago my husband and I bought our first home. It was a very old home and needed a lot of tender love and care. I had the vision of what I wanted and my husband was able to help me bring it to life. As we began building and creating items for our home, we had another idea..... What if we started our own business and offered our creations to others who share the same love and passion for decorating as we do. Here we are, 17 years later, sharing our creations and designs with friends everywhere.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Saturday, March 24th




Welcome to ~Make Your House A Home~ where we post fun ideas that ~Make Our House A Home~. We have shared several decorating ideas and are very excited to share other things that make our home special to our family. I mentioned last week that I love to BAKE! I have great memories from when I was a child of walking up the driveway after school and smelling fresh baked bread! I love when my kids get home from school and are excited about their after school snack (or should I call it a meal?) They are always starving when they get home! I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite baked goods with all of you.

The First Item is my Mom's Texas Sheet Cake. I have no idea where she got this recipe, but she passed it to me, so I am going to give her the credit. My kids LOVE this cake. This is the cake Chloee chose for her last birthday!



Texas Sheet Cake - In a Heavy Sauce Pan brint to a boil: 2 Cubes of Butter/Margarine, 1 Cup Water & 4 Tbs. Cocoa. Remove from burner and mix in 2 Cups Sugar, 2 Cups Flour, & 1/2 Tsp. Salt. Add 1/2 Cup Sour Cream, 2 Eggs and 1 Tsp Soda. Pour cake batter into a 10X15 greased pan. Cook 25 minutes at 375 Degrees. Cocoa Butter Frosting: Bring the following ingredients to a boil: 1 Cube Butter/Margarine, 6 Tbs. Milk & 4 Tbs Cocoa. Mix in 1 Tsp Vanilla & Powdered Sugar. Pour this Cocoa Butter Frosting onto the cake while the cake is still warm. We love this cake when it is right out of the oven! Delicious!

Once Again, I got this recipe from my wonderful mother... One of our Christmas Traditions when we were kids was eating Banana Bread on Christmas morning while we were opening our presents. YUMMY! So I actually think of Christmas when I make this recipe, but I make it all the time. I usually quadruple this recipe and get four loaves out of each batch. It freezes really good and is an easy snack or breakfast!. We also love to toast it in the toaster and add a little butter on top!!


Banana Bread - Cream together: 1 Cup sugar and 1/2 Cup Butter/Margarine. Then add 2 Beaten Eggs, 1 Tsp Vanilla and 1 Cup Mashed Bananas. (I have a Bosch Mixer with a blender attachment. I always throw my ripe bananas into the blender which has measurements right on the side. It makes it very easy to measure.) Last But Not Least~ Add: 2 Cups Flour, 1 Tsp Salt and 1 Tsp Baking Soda. Pour into a Greased Bread Pan and bake 1 Hour at 350 Degrees. Depending on your oven, you may need to bake it a little longer. Just stick a knife into the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, it is done!! I can actually smell when the bread is done. Once is it ready to come out of the oven, it has a different smell~


Fresh Homemade Bread - I'm not even going to attempt giving you this recipe, because i kindof just throw things into the mixer. My mother in law Sheri gave me a recipe for her Cinnamon Twists years ago and I kindof revised her recipe into a bread recipe. I am sure there are hundreds of you that can bake better bread than me. I am not a professional bread maker at all. My family always tells me that it is the "Best Bread Ever"..... I think it is because I am their mom/wife. Everything my mom made was my favorite (and still is) because she is my mom and she added her love to everything she made for us. So find a bread recipe that you like and make it for your family. I bet it will become their favorite because you made it for them and added a little bit of your love.

1 comment:

  1. All of these look SO yummy! I love to try recipes, so I will add these on my list to try!

    ReplyDelete